Friday, February 12, 2010

This week in Bread


After we got home from our great snow trip, I was anxious to try some 100% whole wheat bread dough. In the past I have not had great luck in getting such a loaf to rise, so I needed to try the Healthy Bread In Five Minutes a Day master recipe. Here is what the dough looked like as I was mixing it up in the bowl. I let is raise on the counter for a couple of hours and then put it in the fridge.

Wednesday I decided to bake off a loaf and see how it turned out. I followed the directions EXACTLY, and was very, very pleased with the outcome. Here it is:


Yummy, right? It was crunchy on the outside, and perfect on the inside. Some holes, custardy crumb, lovely taste. I used a combination of seeds for the top - sesame, poppy, millet and caraway. I think I will forgo the caraway in the future, as it overpowers the taste of the others.



Then I needed to use up my last lump of pumpernickel dough, so decided to make a pumpernickle/raisin/walnut loaf to have to surprise Scott for breakfast Saturday since he has been in Chicago all week. I just love this bread - it reminds us of bread we used to order at The Rusty Nail in Bellvue when we lived in Pittsburgh in the '80's. Here is how it looked fresh out of the oven:
The raisins on the outside char slightly, adding to the depth of flavor of the loaf. Scott will really enjoy this for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment